Museum hours are
Saturdays, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Florence B. Dearing
Prior to 1958, Cromaine Library maintained a Historical Collection that included objects, photographs, documents and books. This collection along with the artifacts donated by the community (October, 1958) became the basis for the museum that was established in 1958 by Florence B. Dearing in the basement of the Library. Mrs. Dearing, the beloved librarian for twenty-six years, wanted to document the rural farm and cultural life of the Hartland area. In May, 1960 the Hartland School Board voted unanimously to name the museum the Florence B. Dearing Museum.
The sign in the picture was designed by Mr. and Mrs. Ron Libby. The photo was taken by Donna Bulloch. Through generous donations by people in the community and former residents the collection grew until a larger space was needed. In 1970, Hartland built a new township hall. The Hartland Area Historical Society was formed for the purpose of saving the "Old Town Hall" and giving the museum collection a new home.
In 1971, for the sum of $1.00 the Hartland Township Board deeded the "Old Town Hall" to the Hartland Area Historical Society. On November 22, 1971 the Hartland School Board voted that most of the articles in the present Florence B. Dearing Museum be transferred to the Old Town Hall, to be managed and eventually owned by the Hartland Historical Society. In the summer of 1972, the Hartland Area Jaycees moved the museum collection from Cromaine Library to the "Old Town Hall". The official opening of the museum was October 11, 1972 when the Society hosted the State Questers. On December 18, 1972 the Board voted to call the building the Florence B. Dearing Museum. The sign that still hangs above the museum porch was designed by Mr. and Mrs. Rod Libby and made by Richard Kaurnen. The flag pole was a gift of the Austin-Moore Post of the American Legion.
In June, 1975 the Waldenwoods Questers made application for the Museum to receive designation as a Michigan Historic Site. By August, 1975 the designation was awarded. Fund raising efforts for a historic marker were started by the Waldenwoods Questers. In the summer of 1976, the sign was erected and a dedication held. October 11, 2007 marked the 35th anniversary of the opening of the Florence B. Dearing Museum at the corner of Avon Street and Crouse Road in the village of Hartland. After being close for extensive restoration and renovation, the Museum reopened on Memorial Day, May 30, 2011. The hours are Saturdays,10 a.m. -3 p.m. To schedule a tour or become a museum docent, call Hildy Foley, 810-229-7621.